Monday, April 1, 2013

Both Encouraged and Discouraged

Today, I am both encouraged and discouraged.

I am encouraged that the process is moving along faster than we thought. We have our final fingerprinting in Atlanta this coming Friday afternoon, April 5th.  About one week after that, we should get USCIS approval.  The approval letter will be scanned and emailed to Lat>ia to complete our dossier.  We expect that 4 to 6 weeks after that, that we will get a referral email from Lat>ia (our 2 weeks notice of a court date in Riga).  In other words, I think we are seven to eight weeks away from travelling!  This seems to be happening way too fast!

However, that brings me to my discouragement.  So far we have not been able to raise the money that we had hoped, meaning that all of our expenses are paid for out of pocket.  While we have the money to pay for the travel and this adoption, I am concerned that we will drain our savings and as a result, this will put us in a really uncomfortable situation.  We have applied for two grants, but I am not optimistic about getting approved.  We are not eligible for most of the grants that I have found for various reasons.  Additionally, my employer doesn't offer any kind of adoption assistance.  I know that God will provide for us since we were led by Him to adopt.

On a more upbeat note, we found out today that the husband of Rebekah's soccer coach is Lat>ian!  Not only that, he has the same first name as our Warrior!  What are the chances?  We have known this family for several years, but never knew that he has a Lat>ian heritage.  I found out that his grandparents and father immigrated to America when the Russians occupied Lat>ia during World War II.  

No comments:

Post a Comment