Wednesday, July 31, 2013

100% WANTED and LOVED!

****You know when you hear songs on the radio and you hum along, but they don't really have any meaning?  Then one day out of the blue, you completely get the song and the message coming across loud and clear. That is exactly what happened when I heard Dara Maclean's song "Wanted".  Please take a moment and listen to the words of this song.  This trip and this adoption have made the words to this song come to life.  Our Warrior is WANTED and has been wanted and loved by God since before he was born.  May he always know he is wanted by our family, but more importantly wanted by God and loved unconditionally!****

Our day began with our normal morning routine of breakfast and getting ready for the day.  Our lawyer picked us up promptly at 10:15AM (Latvi@n time) and drove us to our 2nd orphan court hearing.  Our little Warrior was happily singing on the ride there.  His happy-go-lucky demeanor quickly changed once we were in the court building and his orphanage director walked in.  He wouldn't even make eye contact with her.  She could tell he was scared she was coming to take him back to the orphanage.  Once everyone had arrived at court, Warrior and I were taken in to the room to talk to the court ladies along with his orphanage director.  Matt and our other children waited in the hall.  He was not happy to be in the room, and I could tell he was uncomfortable.  He was answering, "NO" to everything they were asking.  While I don't speak Latvi@n, I was able to pick up on a few things they were asking.  He told them "NO" to coming to America and he said he didn't want his mama and he didn't want to go back to the orphanage or to his home in Rig@.  I could tell he was tired of all of the questioning.  Once they realized he had enough, they welcomed Matt and our translator into the room.  They proceeded to question us for about 30 minutes about when we were going to start school with our children, how Warrior's behavior had been for the past few weeks, how our children felt about him and how we were feeling about going home.  Once the ladies of the court approved us to travel home with our Warrior, you could tell he was happy.  He seemed relieved to know he was going to be riding back with us in our car rather than his orphanage director's car.

Our next stop was the US Embassy for our interview to get his visitor's visa.  Since the embassy was closed for lunch, our lawyer drove us to a mall so we could have lunch.  After lunch, we found a bookstore and did some quick shopping before meeting back up with our lawyer to head to the embassy.  Once at the embassy, we went through two security check points and sat in a room waiting to be interviewed.  Not knowing what to expect, I think we were all a little nervous.  Our older girls were full of questions we couldn't answer because it was all new to us as well.  Finally, a very friendly US Embassy employee grabbed a chair and sat down with us in the lobby. He started making small talk about where we were from, if we liked the Atlanta Braves and what we had done while in Latvi@.  I think he spoke to us for maybe 10 minutes before letting us know our Warrior's visa would be ready to pick up tomorrow.  I think Matt and I were pretty shocked at how easy the process was.  Our lawyer drove us back to our apartment and we hugged goodbye.  It was a feeling of relief to be done with the legal aspect of trip one!

During our court hearing, we learned a few new things about his mother and family which we had not been told before.  We learned he had an older brother who was under the care of a legal guardian (meaning he can't be adopted) and is a very good football player (Latvi@n soccer).  The hard part for Matt and I was learning his mother who had abandoned him at the hospital had passed away this year (some of this information conflicted with what we had previously been told).  Knowing this fact just about ripped my heart out.  Anyone who knows me knows how sensitive I am and how I can cry at the drop of a hat.  Well, that is just about what happened.  I was crying along with the orphanage director.  As if this wasn't enough, once we got home, we started reading over some of the paperwork from the court.  We learned 5 other families had shown interest in adopting him, but chose not to because of his health issues.  WHY???  Why did my son get looked over by so many families?  Why did he have to stay without a family for so long? The answer is simple.  Our special Warrior is OUR blessing from God.  God chose us to be his parents and his family and for that I am so thankful!!!  While the pain in my heart hurts for him for things he doesn't yet know, I'm so blessed to be able to take him home and show him the same love our God has shown to me.

As I finish washing and hanging the last of our loads of laundry, I'm reminded how adoption is an amazing example of our own adoption into Christ's family.  When I get frustrated with our Warrior and all of his bad behaviors, Christ gently reminds me of how He loves me unconditionally despite my many flaws.  It is physically hard for my flesh to love someone and give love to someone who bites me, pinches me and lashes out at me for no reason.  But, since I am filled with Christ's love, I am able to give His love to this special little boy despite what he does to me.

Please continue to pray for our family especially as we travel on Friday to bring our Warrior home!  Matt and I would like to thank all of our readers who are faithful to keep up with our journey.

1 comment:

  1. So excited for today, a brand new chapter! Very sad about his birth mother but ultimately may make the transition easier as a friend who adopted experienced some struggles as a result of the birth mother. Be blessed with many traveling mercies!

    ReplyDelete